Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Results

The two candidates I supported the most, Barack Obama and Kay Hagan, have won. But North Carolina, which became a swing state four years sooner than I thought it would, still hasn't been called either way in the electoral college. This is apparently because there are a large number of provisional ballots, each of which need to be checked for the voter's eligibility. As of right now, Obama is ahead by less than 12,000 votes. I'm almost wishing that the race was closer so it would all come down to North Carolina for once. The other 49 states and DC would see what life's like here. On the other hand, I don't think I could stomach another 2000-esque recount. There were other things on the ballot that didn't go so well. None of the four Johnston County school board candidates I voted for won. And the same-sex marriage-banning Proposition 8 in California, which, if passed, would show just how far this country has to go towards equality, passed. That's just sad. If anyone wants to debate me on that subject, here are two rebuttals. For those who object on religious reasons: "But there's no other reason other than that." For those who object, believing that same-sex couples should only get "civil unions": "What exactly makes them different enough that they can't get a real marriage?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home