Friday, March 23, 2007

Garbage Garbage Everywhere

The following is an editorial I am writing for the SAPC newspaper, The Lance.

I have driven around Laurinburg and Scotland County and noticed signs in front yards that say "No Mega Dump." I looked into it, and it made me sick to my stomach. It seems that there are plans to build a huge garbage dump here in Scotland County. It would bring trash in from as far as Tennessee, Florida, and the District of Columbia. Who would honestly want that? I don't. Even if it would bring more money to Scotland County, this is definitely not worth it. Besides, we already have a state prison. However, what can I do? I have found that the county commissioners are voting on this measure on April 2 and only two out of seven are against it. So, I will join Scotland County Of Tomorrow (http://nomegadump.org/) at their rally against the mega dump on April 2 at the County Government Building at 1405 West Blvd in Laurinburg. I urge everyone who likes this Earth to be there too.


This editorial will be published sometime next week. I hope I'm not the only one who is sick to his/her stomach about this. Just in case you don't know where the county government building is, take I-95 to US 74, go west about 25 miles, exit on to US 15-401-501, turn left at Wal-Mart, and go about a mile. The county government building is on the left.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's well-written! You could use a little more elaboration about exactly where the dump is proposed. I am glad you are taking an interest in such an important issue!!

3/23/2007 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the location of the dump could be anywhere in the county.

3/23/2007 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home