Sunday, July 09, 2006

Girls Just Want to Have Sums

Must have missed this one during the year. I don't really know how to review this one. I'd say the sole good joke was the "27!" gag. I'll just give my reactions:

1. So, who is being sexist here? Principal Skinner, on the one hand, was being sexist about that one B not being important. On the other hand, Ms. Upfoot not teaching the students evenly is a deeper sexism. I mean, she was causing both sexes to be separated, and they wouldn't know each other. Do you get the feeling that this will lead to some kind of problem upon reaching middle school? And if you're wondering why there were more male mathematicians in the first place, it's because women were treated like dolls for so long. The men never gave them a chance, just made them do all the so-called women's work.

2. Yes, Lisa named herself Jake when in disguise. Remember blaxpoitation? Forgive the paranoia, but I'm starting to feel the Jakesploitation here. My parents gave me that name in the late 1980s, before it became popular the way it is now. Seriously, what is in a name? For example, imagine how all the Freds in this world feel about their name being shared with that megajerk Fred Phelps? I doubt any of the other Freds are that evil, but they must resent their parents right about now, even though it's not their fault.

3. I don't mean to be rude, but people can be such jerks sometimes. I mean, I agree with Skinner on one line: "What do you want me to say?" Well, which would they have liked better: equality or diversity? Not just adults either; kids too. Guys and some girls tormented me all through school. I was accused of being gay in fifth grade, before I even knew for sure what "gay" meant. The guys kept trying to trick me into saying stupid stuff, like they'd say "under there" in an attempt to get me to say "underwear" (For the last time, quit snickering); point to my head and say "LoHa" backwards, which yielded aHoL, but they meant backwards phonetics, which would have yielded HaLo; literally hold my tongue and try to say "Apples" and inadvertently curse; say the fifth month then spell "icup;" or some other humiliating trick.

In closing, there was this chant during those summers at the YMCA day camp (which was just about as much torture as school) where the girls would say "G-I-R-L-S! You know the girls are best!" and the boys would say "B-O-Y-S! You know the boys are best!" Well, one day, Kenny Ferber said "E-Q-U-A-L! You know we're all equal!" And now, I appreciate how right he was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home